Monday, December 06, 2010

Singing for the children of Haiti on Dec. 30th


I am a member of the Addison Singers and participated in a performance of Sacred songs by Bach (Mass in G) and Finzi at St Michael and All Angels Church, Turnham Green on Saturday night. We sang with the orchestra's accompaniment (oboe especially) and the soloists gorgeous voices. My starting errors and difficult moments gave way to bold expression, as the Chorus surged together into soaring unity. For days after I have the lingering sound of Bach's music resounding inside, inspiring me to compose some new choral music.

The lecture/workshop was given at Limerick University on the 24th of November in a state of the art studio, to students obviously interested in Chanting and Ritual (the course title). By the time I got there (after a train delay) the students were wondering what had happened, but it inspired me to share my research experiences with even more passion.

At the experimental kirtan event on the 27th, Tapasi showed her evocative visuals, Fabio improvised on keyboards, Mike Neeson played bass, Kavita on khol and myself on guitar and lead vocals. It wasn't as intimate as the first, but endearing still with a community of singers building from among us.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home