Sunday, July 28, 2013

The kaleidoscope of life



Some of the highlights of the last fortnight have been: Performance of Sound Alliance at TAPAC, our first gig together playing Indo Celtish music. The band includes: Sayanti vocals,)Sarasvati(flute, clarinet, sax), Kavita (percussion, khol drum) Ahi (piano), Abbas (percussion, sound effects) Ayer (drums) and me on vocals and guitar.

Ashton Wiley Music Awards: I attended the Ashton Wiley Manuscript and Book awards recently. Even though my manuscript did not win an award it was a great experience to be among so many talented NZ writers in the 'mind body spirit' genre

NRK TV Culture programmes: I am delighted to be writing music for a NRK (Norwegian TV) Culture programme, directed by May Holmes whom I met in London in 2006 an 2008. They first did a programme on my music as a official Busker in the London Underground and then again when I was completing my PhD at SOAS. Three short pieces have been commissioned and plan to be aired in September.

Guitar Classes at my local Ranui Community Centre continue, with 14 young students attending. This is always a highlight of my week, teaching students who have so much energy, who love to have fun as well as play the guitar.

I gave a lecture at Unitec on 'What is Ethnomusicology?', another highlight. To be with students who obviously were appreciative of learning something new about ethnomusicology was a real pleasure and confirms for me the value of this creative and academic discipline.

The Meditation Classes I teach on Monday nights at Sussex Street Yoga Centre in Auckland are always something I look forwards to. In these classes we explore and discuss the fundamentals of astaunga yoga including meditation, kirtan chanting, as well as some Tantric philosophy and basic yoga postures. It can inspire me for the whole week.

Stars In Her Eyes: I went to another screening of Athina Tsoulis's film called 'Stars I Her Eyes'. Sound Room and I are writing the music for this film, which is planned to be shown in November. The story line is very powerful and striking and there's a real sense of joy as well as pathos.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home